Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Book : SQL Server Window Functions

One of my favorite tool-set in Oracle database  is Analytical functions . I used it , wherever appropriate . Most of time , it has solved my problems , which otherwise been done by procedural logic ( aka PL/SQL ) .

Analytical functions has been implemented in Oracle since 1993 - almost  two decades.

You might wonder  ... the title says .... SQL Server .. and this guy talks about Oracle .

With the release of SQL Server 2012  ,  SQL Server has almost all the analytical functions as Oracle.

Currently , I am reading the book "Microsoft SQL Server 2012 High-Performance T-SQL Using Window Functions" [ Microsoft Press]. It is pretty interesting and easy read. This book has lot of new stuff for T-SQL developers.  I was surprised to see the name of Oracle Cheif Technogist name ( Tom Kyte ) in one of the chapters [ side notes - where the author mentions about the proposal of new analytical functionality].


I wish both Oracle / MS maintains the same terminology on these functions ( instead of calling it as "analytical " or " window" functions , settle on one nomenclature ) .

No comments:

Post a Comment